Saturday, December 30, 2017

Empty Nest?

See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

 
I would change Crocheters to Quilters but the sentiment fits!

My son and his girlfriend have been testing a shared living arrangement for the last 6 months. 
They just signed a 1 a one year lease on an apartment. 
Does that make his room fair game?
I think so!
 
They would come to visit and he would dig around in his room for things to take back.
This is the state of his room. 
 
 
View from the door.
 

View from the closet on the other side of the room.
 Looks like I have some work to do.
 
He has a super single waterbed that I have been wanting to replace with a double bed, you know, big enough for 2 people, in case anyone came to visit and wanted to spend the night (which never happens).

First, I need to take care of the 2 fish aquariums on the headboard. They both need the water 
emptied out and cleaned. The fish have been moved into the bigger aquarium. 
 
Then, the bed needs to be drained and disassembled. 
I have been putting this off because we usually drain the beds out the windows, but it is so cold! I don't want a frozen pond outside the window even though it is at the back of the house, nor do I want to leave the window open, even just a little, in these frigid temps. Plus, I am not sure what I will do with the bed parts at this point. We have a double bed that can go in this room, but I keep thinking about how much space that will take up! We do have an inflatable bed that they have used since the waterbed is really only big enough for one person. Makes sense to use that when needed so I have more usable space in the room, right? We never have overnight visitors except them anyway.

The bookcase and shelf above the bed need cleared. I will be able to use them for sewing items. The TV is suppose to go to them, but I don't know if they will have room for it. The dresser at the end of the bed is something they think they will be able to use. If they take the big aquarium they will have to pay an additional $200 pet fee. They already are paying that for their dog. I think the fish can be divided to fit in the other two aquariums. They have to stay under 20 gallons to avoid the fee, I believe. Otherwise I will continue to care for the fish, but the aquarium takes up that whole wall which would be good for a design wall.  My plan is to set up my embroidery machine to use just for embroidery and use my other machine just for piecing/sewing. I don't use the embroidery machine as much as I think I would if it were set up for embroidery all the time. Where I have it now makes it inconvenient and cramped to hook it up to the laptop. 
 
 
Yesterday I spent most of the day making the snowflakes. I had to find and set up the laptop, then remember how to send the designs to the machine which took a while since I hadn't done it in a while. I am hoping that with an area set up just for embroidery I will use it more. 
Any suggestions or advice?

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ooh, goody - you'll have a sewing room! I wouldn't put a bed in it - it wouldn't be used that often and would just take up space. Setting up the embroidery machine so that is "ready to go" sounds like a terrific idea. Keep us posted - and have a Happy New Year!! - ;))