Monday, August 1, 2016

Design Wall

Go to Judy's page to what other quilters are up to.

I have been asked to make a quilt for a Christmas gift. The guy wants to surprise his wife. He wants their children depicted by pigs and chickens - they raise them. They grow apples, plums, apricots and pears in their orchard. The wife loves their barn.

So, I have been working on fruit trees.


 Cutting station. I had just cleaned it up some so I could start on the next tree.


Pieces ready to sew. The HST measure 1 1/2 inches.


 Two finished trees -apple and pear. Still to come are apricot and plum.
The tree block measures 7 1/2 inches. The setting triangles make it 13 inches. 

I am not quite sure how these will get placed in the quilt so I am leaving them like this for now.

I am designing this quilt as I go.

He sent me a photo of their barn, pigs and chickens.
I traced the barn and enlarged it. I plan to put it in the center. I am thinking the fruit trees will go in the upper right corner. I would like to make a flag for the upper left, but am waiting on approval. I am also thinking about fences, fields, and other farm appropriate blocks to fill it out.

I am trying not to think of all the other things I need to do 
and focus instead on the fun I am having designing this quilt.
Work starts for me the end of August when school is in session again and I find that 
I don't get much sewing done during the week. And, my son is home now 
and I just don't get as much done - I haven't figured out why.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like a very fun project to design. You've made a great start.