Monday, April 18, 2016

Design Wall Monday

I love spring! My husband, not so much. He farms. He does not like farming. Long story that I won't go into here except to say that his father likes to be in control of EVERYTHING ... every. little. thing. He is 93 years old, but still wants to be in charge. This makes things difficult at times.

Anyway, I spent my weekend mostly outside working in the yard. Mowing the yard takes about 3 hours. Picking up the sticks before mowing took about an hour. We have some Basswood and Chinese Elm trees around our place. If the wind even thinks about blowing (and it blows most of the time around here) these trees drop twigs and small limbs like crazy. If it weren't for the shade they provide I would be very tempted to remove them.
Then, I spent some time with this...





I have been having issues with bending over to work in the garden. We don't have a big garden, but it is becoming move frustrating and less enjoyable for me. My wonderful husband bought and put together this lovely raised bed. it is 2' x 8' foot and comes up to my hip. We placed it in the garden and filled it with soil. I will get it planted today after work. Cucumbers will go on the end with the wire panel. I am also planting carrots, beans, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and a pepper plant. I am hoping my son will get more involved this year. He is a full-time wheelchair user and this is the perfect height for him.

As far as quilting goes, I finished this quilt for my friend.

I appliqued the small squares to the yellow squares. She didn't care for the yellow and had some leftover pieced blocks so I used them. I hope she likes it better now.






The librarian for our school district is going to retire at the end of this school year. Several years ago she received a grant from Arts Resource Grant and, along with some teachers and parent volunteers, the students made some small quilts. We were able to 'steal' two of them from her and I will be quilting them this week.





This week is the next retreat for my quilt group. I am packed and ready to go!


1 comment:

Kat said...

That yellow quilt looks really nice! I'm sure your friend will like it.