Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Brrrr....

As I am sitting at my computer and looking at the weather forecast the temperature is -2 degrees F with a 'feels like' of -24. School has been cancelled for today. We got 5 inches of snow Monday night. It has all been rearranged due to the wind. I am quite happy to stay warm in my house all day today.

I decided quite some time ago that I need to organize my 'stuff'. Some of my fabric has migrated to the living area of my house. That is mostly my husband's fault! :) I can't remember exactly how it happened but he thought I was spending so much time upstairs in my sewing area that he never saw me so I set up a machine in the TV room and gradually my fabric and other supplies followed me.

The attic of this house has been finished into a room and I had been using that area to sew. I thought it was nice because I could walk away in the middle of a project and no one could see the mess. The problem is that the room also has become the dumping ground for anything and everything that doesn't have a space in the main part of the house. Company coming - do a quick pick up and dump everything upstairs, out of sight.

The other problem is that there is only one heat/AC vent to that upstairs room and it is disconnected so that the air for that vent blows into the unfinished basement to help with humidity control there. So in the winter the upstairs is pretty cool and, even worse, in the summer it is pretty hot. Even so, I decided that most of the fabric and supplies not being used everyday should move back up there. Another problem is that there is no lighting up there. We recently bought some shop lights that will be installed soon, I hope. I really need to get that room organized and just get rid of things that have been forgotten and never used again once they have been moved up there. But I find it overwhelming and I get easily distracted. The other day when working up there I found this forgotten tub FULL of fabric. See, I had started saving scraps years ago!
This is a pretty big bucket. It is as big as my kitchen trash can so it holds quite a bit of fabric. I am digging through it for pieces for the Diamond Log Cabin piece I am working on.

I have also been making Bowl Buddies. If you haven't seen these here is one of many tutorials on how to make one. http://www.seamshappy.com/2012/08/13/microwave-bowl-pot-holder/
And here are pics of 3 that I made.


The top two pictures are the ones I gave to my parents. My mother likes owls and my dad is a Bear's fan and a Cub's fan. I didn't have any Cubs fabric so I used baseball fabric. It's all good he likes to watch any team play football or baseball. The camo one I made for my son. He is camo crazy. I hate it, but he loves it. I made some for my teacher friends for Christmas this year, but forgot to get pictures of them.

I got to visit a quilt shop over Christmas break so I thought I had better add to my stash!
 The white in the middle of this picture is Kona. I find I am using a lot of white lately so I needed to stock up. The purple and gray are 1/2 cuts. The purple might get used in a project I am working on using Civil War type fabrics. The gray - I just liked it. :)

 I already had the charm pack of Snowman Gatherings. I added the two pieces that will get used somehow in whatever I decide to make with this charm pack.

 These were ordered from Connecting Threads. They were on sale for a great price. Again, haven't decided what to do with them yet.
 I am collecting batiks. I had made a twister quilt with batiks. After I shared it on Facebook and friend contacted me and wanted to buy it. I debated about selling it but I had wished I had made the quilt bigger so I sold her the quilt and am planning to make another for me. I have already started cutting.


These will be cut into fat quarters. I recently found a quilt group in my area. We are doing a light background FQ exchange this month. These will be used for that.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ha! - Organizing - must be contagious - seems like we are all doing it this time of year - either that or it's the weather - ;))