Monday, December 11, 2017

My Heart Hurts

Edit: Go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts to see what other quilters are up to.

I knew this project would be hard, and I was right.

I am making pillows for my sister-in-law and niece.

You Are My Sunshine was their family thing. 
My brother was a bee keeper and they always grew sunflowers.


I was able to get 2 shirts that belonged to my brother to use as backing. 


I straight stitched around the applique. 

I am using the shirt fronts as the pillow back. 
I like that the shirt can be unbuttoned to remove the pillow cover for washing.


I also like having the pocket there. I think it needs a special note with maybe a picture in it.
 
 

Pillow one is finished.

Here is the layout for Pillow 2.


6 comments:

Tracy said...

These are lovely, and a beautiful reminder for the recipient.

Judy Hansen said...

Great memory pillows, and I really like the button-up and pocket on the back. I will use that idea on a pillow. Your pillows will be a comfort to your family.

Judy Hansen said...

Hi again Cindy,
Please add a link to the "design wall monday" blog, as you did on your last post.
"Go here, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, to see what other quilters are doing."

If you get used to adding the link within your blog post at the same time you link to the blog, the links work smoothly. Thanks, Judy

Marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Schiffer said...

What a great memory project!

I, too, lost a brother recently (Thanksgiving two years ago). Wish I had thought of this idea when I still had things of his to use. Sadly, I was too surrounded by estate business to even think of it. Sigh.

:) Linda

Marti said...

(I had to make a typing correction.

Your pillows are adorable! I wonder if she will notice that it is made from his shirt?

It will be treasured. I wish I had kept shirts that belonged to my father and my father-in-law