Monday, February 1, 2021

Making and Making Do

To see what other quilters have on their design walls go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I haven't done any more quilting on Windmills.
But, I have been busy with other quilt-related projects. I finished piecing this top, Crimson Poppy.

And, this top - A Sparkling Samper.

I also got out this project yesterday - Coral Reef. 
I got all the foundation papers cut and organized. But I need a bigger surface to work on to cut the fabrics. Before I can do that  I need to clean up in the sewing room.

I started piecing the Churn Dash blocks together over the weekend. 
I divided them into piles - dark backgrounds, light backgrounds. I may regret it later, but for now, I'm just picking up one from each pile and sewing them together. I got one row sewn yesterday. 

My little design wall above the big ironing board is only big enough for a few blocks, not for complete rows.
Plus, I keep pinning things up there so it is slowly getting covered with things that are not quilt blocks. The big ironing board and cutting area are covered with the Churn Dash project and the RSC (yellow for February) block for next month. Somewhere in there are also blocks for the Stashbuster Challenge for 2021 by Border Creek Station
So, I am making do with my fabric stash by pinning things to the fabric in the cubbies. 

I like to take photos outside but that isn't happening right now.

And, one more thing to add to my list of projects; My Quilter's Exchange group has decided that since we are unable to meet in person, but are all wanting to have some kind of connection during Covid we will be working on a mystery quilt. It is being organized by our 'leader' and the first clue will be posted today. I have chosen a fat quarter batik bundle and added some more fabrics from my stash. 
The colors aren't true (I just can't seem to get that right) but you can get an idea of what they look like. I will have to use the lighter fabric in the middle as the light because I don't have enough of the darker one. The dark teal on the left and the dark green on the right are border options. I will probably not decide which one until the rest of the top is pieced.

I can't believe it is already February! Winter has made itself known here the last few days.

We have gotten snow. Not a lot, really, but enough to cause problems. 

It all started Saturday afternoon with rain, that turned to slushy rain, that turned to snow. Cold temps and wind have made for icy, drifted roads that are hazardous. 

There are some rabbits that live under the end of the ramp where those drifts are. I think the drifts probably help keep the wind out, maybe.  

The drifts haven't blocked them in. There are a lot of rabbit prints around the front garden.

And, it appears, at least one cat has been lurking about! And, that is fine by me. I hope he is keeping the rodent population under control.

Husband set out early this morning to travel the 1-1/4 mile distance to his parent's house to feed the cows. He had to turn around and come home for the tractor. The roads had drifts large enough that made getting through impossible. A snowplow has just now gone down my road so hopefully, the roads will be better soon. The sun is shining now which is quite deceiving. It looks like a pretty day, but the wind is picking up again and it is COLD!

Stay safe and well.

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your Crimson Poppy - and the new one is going to be just as beautiful! Your Churn Dashes are pretty, too! And your snow is pretty to look at - but I don't like being IN it. Stay SAFE and WARM - ;))

Dolly said...

Ooh, I don't envy you that snowfall ! I'm so glad it's February, and hope that time now slows down a bit when we get mid-March ! I don't do cold weather well !

I love the mixed sizes of Churn Dash together ! Gives me such a desire to start something else,.......but of course, like everyone else, I DON'T NEED TO !

Be warm !

Janis said...

Your Crimson Poppy is amazing, so pretty. You seem to have lots to keep you busy while you wait for the snow to melt. So many great projects.