Monday, March 17, 2014

Design Wall Monday

I haven't posted for a while. But, I am on Spring Break this week so today I have time.






I had posted earlier that my Mother-in-law is currently in a nursing home. One day she had an appointment so I took a quilt to wrap around her. She has had a stroke that has caused paralyses of her left side so putting a coat on her is difficult. The quilt ended up staying with her at the nursing home. It is her favorite colors - black and white with a little red. Her pillow sham didn't match the quilt so I made one to match.
I used some motifs on my embroidery machine to quilt it.



The kindergarteners recently learned letter Q.

Part of my job duties is a Shared Reading/bathroom break. Each class comes with me for 20 minutes for a bathroom break and I read to them during this time. I try to read books that reinforce what they are learning in class. Well, of course, I had to read books about quilts during letter Q week!
One of the books I read was The Handkerchief Quilt by Carol Crane. It is about a school that needs repairs due to broken water pipes during a freeze in the winter. The community makes a quilt to raise the needed funds. The quilt they make is Cathedral Windows.


I made this little piece to show the students what a Cathedral Windows quilt would look like. I also took in some of my other quilts. We talked about shapes and colors (math lessons in kindergarten) that are used in quilts too.
They all seemed very interested and loved looking at and feeling the quilts and the tools used for quilt making.

I am also working on this little quilt. The blocks are left from another quilt.
A co-worker is expecting a boy the end of April and I think these blocks will be just right for a baby quilt. I hope to get this finished this week.

 
First, I need to clean off the quilting machine. Seems that no matter how hard I try I just cannot keep things from piling up on here.


Well, I guess I better get busy!

1 comment:

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful MIL quilt! Love your cathedral star example for kindergarten - who knows how many future quilters you have inspired!