Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Missed Design Wall Monday

Ok, so I had good intentions, but I missed posting on Monday. Not that there is much to post, but I really did mean to.
I'm working on another Quilts for Kids quilt. I do enjoy these, although I don't like this kit as much as the others they sent me. It is quilted and ready for the binding. You can my Rainbow blocks are still on the wall behind the QFK quilt.


I have been working on a label for the little boy quilt that is finished. I make my labels by using waste cross-stitch canvas. I stitch onto fabric that is from the quilt so it matches and then hand sew it to the back. No picture yet.

It is hard for me to find time for sewing since school and basketball practice have started. The basketball season kicks off this weekend with the first tournament in Milwaukee, WI. The kids are excited and so are the parents, I think! Go Wildcats!

I am having a personal struggle lately. It seems that no matter how hard I try to declutter and keep my home neat and organized I just cannot do it. I don't like to do housework to begin with, but I do like to be able to find what I need and keep things picked up. There are pack rat genes on my side and my husbands so my son gets a double whammy of that! I have a 6 foot table set up in our family room in my sewing area. My son had a fit that I would be using the WHOLE table. He just did not think that was fair. I said he could use it too. He has the laptop at one end. We had to go as far as to make a mark on the table showing the halfway point! How ridiculous is that?! He always points out when I am over my half. Sometimes I just have to do that when I am measuring and cutting bigger pieces of fabric.

Same with the quilt frame. I had to give him his own space on the shelves underneath. Now, admittedly most of the stuff under the frame is mine, but some is his. And it hasn't moved since it was put there. He tends to put his stuff on the top, though and then gets angry when I move it so I can quilt. My husband likes to spread the mail out on the Ironing board. I am at a lost as to how to get them to stop. I am also frustrated that I have to keep asking my son to pick up his mess on the table. Most of it is garbage. This past weekend I bagged most of it up and put it in his room. I told him I didn't throw anything away in case there was something there that he needed. Oh, he was mad! :) But, now a few days later, there is another mess on the table. So, how I am handling this isn't working. Any suggestions?

You can also see the the lower right corner that the dining room chairs are used for hanging up jackets and such. We do have closets and hanging pegs in this house. I hang my coat up on a peg by the door every time I take it off. There are four pegs. I am the only one who uses them. I work full-time - with Kindergarteners! - so I am tired when I come home and I am just really struggling with having to keep cleaning up messes that I didn't make.
I know... I need to put on my big girl panties and just suck it up. You don't have to tell me.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I sympathize - it's tough when you have to clean up after others. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to handle it - but I do remember one time we asked our kids (who shared a room) to clean their room. They, of course, didn't do it. We asked them again - and told them that if they didn't do it this time - WE would. They STILL didn't do it - so WE did.

We went in - threw away all of the trash - all of the broken toys - all the stuff with missing pieces - etc. - even if it was their favorite stuff. They didn't like it - but I tell you what - the next time we threatened to clean their room for them - they did it themselves!! ;))