Monday, August 2, 2021

Design Wall Monday August 2

To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

The fair is over. It ended July 18, but I had visitors, which I talked about in my last post, so I didn't spend much time doing my normal activities.

Son had two entries, both made use of horseshoes. His flag won 1st Place in Recyclable Materials...
...and his pumpkin won 3rd Place in Lawn and Garden Art.

I had several entries and place with some of them.
Greeting Cards - placed 1st and 2nd.
Bags - placed 2nd and 3rd.
This quilt - 4-Patch X did not place.

This quilt - Ombre Stripes also did not place.


6-inch and 12-inch quilt blocks that did not place were displayed in one case. Mine is the red, tan, and blue one on the left.
Quilt blocks that did place were displayed in another case. Mine are the two purple and green ones on the upper right and the pink, blue and tan one on the bottom left (that is mostly covered up).
Child-sized quilt - placed 3rd.
Decorated Old Window - placed 1st.
Friendship Quilt - placed 1st.

I almost didn't enter this quilt. It is not my best job quilting, but there have not been quilts entered in this category for a few years and I don't want it to be deleted. I was the only person who entered this year.

This quilt - Deer at the Cabin - did not place. Son and I were both disappointed about that, but he says it is a winner in his book. And, that is all that matters. 

Circle of Life placed 1st in the Machine Quilted by Owner category which made it eligible for Grand Champion. It shared the case with the Grand Champion Hand Quilted. 


Here are some photos of the quilts on display.







I am sad that the quilts have to be folded so that they can all be put in the display cases. I enjoy helping on judging day. I get to see each quilt and hear the judge's comments. We had a new judge this year. Her comments were interesting and while I did not agree with some of her choices I understand why she placed quilts the way she did.

New this year were barn quilts on each end of our building.


This lovely lady was an entry, but I think she makes a great greeter!

I've already started working on projects for next year!

Stay safe and well.

Happy quilting!

4 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your friendship quilt is beautiful!! Fun entries using horseshoes by your son!!! Thanks for sharing so many photos and congrats on your ribbons!!! Our county fair starts a week from today.

Nann said...

I'm always surprised how fair judging differs from quilt show judging. That's from my observation at our county fair. (I'm just a fair-goer, not an entrant.) Your son's horseshoe flag is terrific!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your entries and those of your son are beautiful!! I'm always sad to see quilts folded and shoved in cases, too! They should be hung up so we can see ALL of them - not just a section. It's one reason I haven't entered anything in our County Fair in a number of years - ;))

Rebecca Grace said...

I have never actually been to a fair -- I enjoyed seeing it through your post, though. Goodness; I was surprised that quilts were folded and enclosed in the display cases, too, as I've only seen the way they are displayed at quilt shows where you can inspect every inch of them! Congratulations on the makes that were recognized as well as the ones that weren't. Your Friendship quilt is just stunning!