Friday, August 14, 2020

I'm Blessed

 and I know it.

Monday there was a big storm. A derecho. As I stood at the door I watched the wind blow.

I worried - about the crops, about possible tree damage, possible house damage. I wondered if we should head to the basement. 

I watched one of my railing planters blow off.

Then I watched it get blown around the ramp, most of the plants falling out.

The next day I took a walk around my yard to see if there was any damage.

This little planter had been blown off it's block and there were many sticks/small branches in the yard, but no real damage to the trees.

The sunflowers on the north side of the house took a beating, some of them broken.

The tomato plant doesn't look too good, but it is still producing lovely little tomatoes.

But the last few days have been calm, sunny, quiet.

We suffered no major damage. Others around us have not been so lucky. Towns near us have been without power since the storm. Some have damage - to crops, trees, homes, vehicles. Iowa got hit pretty hard. I am blessed. The sticks have been picked up, the plants replanted. The crops are still standing although Husband says the soybeans are so tangled by the wind that he can't walk through them to get to the weeds that need pulled. It could have been much worse.

I finished quilting this quilt

and am sewing down the binding.

I made my block for the Quilter's Exchange. 


Her fabrics are lovely. I always try to use some of the fabrics that haven't been used much in the other blocks. Sometimes it's hard to choose! We met in July and will meet again next weekend, unless the library has to shut down again due to increased Covid cases. The numbers are going up in the state and the county I live in. School starts on Monday for staff and Wednesday for students. I am so worried for all of them. I am so thankful that I don't have decisions to make regarding work or a child in school. I am blessed.

Husband spoke to our friend with Covid today. He was able to talk longer, but he will suddenly say he needs to go because he is so worn out. He is getting therapy daily. He is only able to take four steps with a walker before he needs to stop and rest. He is still on oxygen off and on. The only meal he has been served that he is able to taste and enjoy is the oatmeal with cinnamon sprinkled on it. He says everything else tastes terrible. At least he is eating. He was told today it will probably be another four weeks before he will be released. He also says his legs are like sticks, so thin, no muscle and they just aren't working the way they are suppose to. He was able to have outside, socially distanced visits up until a day or two ago, but the rehab facility he is in has locked down again which means no visitors at all. He is sad and depressed.

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That wind must have been scary - I'm glad you and your husband are safe! Your quilt and block look terrific - ;))