Thursday, January 3, 2013

Knitting

Dish clothes.

Not only are they are functional, they are pretty, and they make nice little gifts. And, I know how to  make them! Because someone took the time to teach me how to knit.

When I was young my family had 2 sisters who babysat us - me and my 2 younger brothers. The sisters were knitters. I remember being fascinated, watching them knit. I remember wanting to learn how to knit. I must have begged enough that one of them finally taught me how to knit using pencils and some scrap yarn. I don't think they knew what an impact that made on my life.

I remember knitting some in high school. I made a hat and matching scarf for a friend for Christmas. I made a red, white and blue crew neck vest for 4-H. I made a few other sweaters after college. Then I stopped knitting. I'm not sure why.

But, it recent years I have started again. Right now I have on my needles - socks, 4 sweaters, a cap, a Christmas tree, and dish clothes, and probably some other things that I have forgotten about. I like to keep simple things that need no thinking, like the dish clothes with me all the time.

They are great for keeping my hands busy, but still be able to carry on a conversation.

And, they make great little gifts, especially with a hand lotion or bath gel.

And, knitting is a great stress reliever, at least for me.

No comments: