Monday, January 21, 2008

Taking the plunge....

OK, I am taking the plunge here and starting a blog. I enjoy reading the blogs of so many other people. I get so much inspiration from them. I don't know how inspiring MY blog will be to others, but I think I will find it a good way to keep track of what I am/have been doing as far as quilting goes.
I also want to mention that I have a 13 year old son with special needs. He was born with spina bifida, which is a neural tube defect. It happens in the first few weeks of pregnancy before most women even know they are pregnant. I did not know that he had this until after he was born. He also has vision impairments that make him legally blind, even with glasses. I am not going to sugar-coat this and say that he brings my so much joy. He DOES bring me joy, but life is frustrating and trying a lot of the times. Many couples of special needs children divorce because of the stress it puts on the marriage. Fortunately, my husband and I have been able to work through this and are still married and supportive of each other. I also know that we are very lucky. My son is basically healthy and is not nearly as medically fragile as a lot of special needs kids are.
So, you will see posts occasionally about my son and my frequently frustrating life, but, mostly I will post about my quilting.
I am just learning how to do all this blogging stuff, so bear with me as I learn to post messages and pics, etc.
Now, I am off to work on a log cabin quilt I am making for MY bed. After at least 20 years of quilting I do not have a quilt made by me on my own bed! I am quilting each block on the machine before I stitch all the blocks together. I usually prefer to hand quilt, but I knew that if I did that it would be a looonngg time before I got this quilt finished. I would like it to go on my bed THIS winter. Probably not going to happen, but I can hope, right? What would life be without hope?
I welcome any comments - about quilting, special needs, kids in general, life in general.
Until next time,
Quilty Mama

No comments: