Monday, August 3, 2020

Life

To see what other quilters are up to go to 

I thought I was finished with making masks, but overnight I received a message wanting to know if I do make them. I responded that I do and asked a few questions about color, solid or print fabrics, how many, but haven't heard back yet. Maybe they found someone else. Which is fine with me.
(I just checked messanger; my response was seen at 6:15 am but not responded to. Perhaps she has found someone else to make them.)

Since finishing the masks I have been sewing, making blocks for a quilt. 
This is Goosin' Around from Love of Quilting May/June 2020. I like that it is big pieces. The blocks go together quickly. I am making mine a little bigger to fit a twin bed. I need 30 blocks and only have seven more to make. 
It will be a donation quilt.
After making masks it is nice to make something fun, fast and easy. 

FAIR WARNING - RANT AHEAD. (but there are pretty flower pictures after if you want to scroll on past this part:)  )
Sunday is typically our day to do the shopping. One week it is to Aldi for groceries, the next week it is the farm store and WM for groceries we can't get at Aldi. We like to go early, when the stores are just opening, so as not to have to deal with crowded stores and rude people. We started doing this long before Covid, but it seems even more important now. We try to stock up more so we go less often.

This past Sunday was the trip to the farm store. They open at 7 AM. We arrived shortly after that. The parking lot was almost empty with only two cars. It is a large lot with plenty of space to park. Husband needed to get some bigger items so we drove the big truck. He parked away from the other cars leaving plenty of space for people to park closer to the doors and leave lots of space around us. We did our shopping and went to the check out counter. Husband told the cashier he needed some big mineral tubs and got a big flat cart to load those on while I unloaded the smaller items at the cashier counter. She called back to the stock guy to get the price on the tubs. There was no one else in line at that point, but as she was waiting for a price a man and woman got in line behind me. He had a big flat cart loaded up with cases of bottled water. I heard the woman complaining about seeing another person in the store NOT wearing a mask. (It was NOT my husband; we both were wearing masks.)
 Meanwhile the man had pushed his cart so close to me it was almost touching me. Nice social distancing, right? I turned around but he just looked at me and did not back up. Husband wheeled the mineral tubs to the car, I finished our transaction and pushed the cart out to the truck. Right beside our truck was a big truck with a flatbed trailer. I was not able to fully open the door to get in. Guess who it was? The man and woman with the bottled water. And before I knew what I was doing I popped off with a snarky comment. I asked him if that was as close as he could get. He looked down and commented that he was in the lines. And, he was right. He was about an inch inside the line on my side. Again, before I could stop myself,
I commented that he had the WHOLE parking lot to park in. He said he could park where ever he wanted. Again, he was right. He could park wherever he wanted. But WHY would you park your big truck and trailer right next to another big truck when there is a WHOLE PARKING LOT WITH ONLY TWO OTHER VEHICLES WIDELY SPACED!?!? and leaving so little room that the other vehicle door cannot be opened? There were three empty spaces on the other side of this guy. And plenty more in the rows in front and behind.
It felt intentional. My husband could have parked cattywampus and taken up four spaces if he had wanted to, but he tried to show some courtesy to other people who MIGHT come after us leaving them plenty of space to park. I get that people are frustrated and overwhelmed with all that is going on in this crazy world right now, but does that mean we stop being kind and courteous? Or maybe this guy never was those things. It just put a sour note to the day.

Soooo, after we got home and got the groceries put away I tried to take a nap. I thought that might help me feel better, but that didn't happen so I took a walk around my yard. Pretty flowers always help, right? 
 


 

 


We had a few more zucchinis which I got shredded this morning. Enough for 6 more batches of zucchini bread. Yum! 

This morning I saw this HUGE green caterpillar in the driveway.


 At first I thought it was a tomato hornworm but the tomato plant is in the backyard, this guy was in the front. I quickly checked the tomato plant, no hornworms. So I think this is some kind of moth, but I have no idea what kind.

Husband talked with our friend with Covid this morning. He sounded better, his appetite is returning, he was able to stand long enough to shave, but he did say this will be a long road for him. 

Please be safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Pretty blocks and pretty flowers! What a jerk! As BOB's mother would say - "Some people's children!!" - ;))