Monday, October 15, 2018

October 8th Week

Visit Small Quilts and Doll Quilts to see what other quilters are up to.

Monday: No school for me because of the Columbus Day holiday. Husband needed to get mineral blocks for the cows so we stopped for breakfast at the restaurant that we think has the best biscuits and gravy. Yum! When we walked into the restaurant we waited several minutes to be seated. While we waited two gentlemen who were finished walked up to the register to pay. The four of us were standing there when the cook poked his head out of the kitchen. Quickly the waitress came scurrying out. She wasn't too happy, seems cook interrupted her smoke break by telling her there were FOUR people waiting. There were, but I guess the two gentlemen didn't count since she said "Oh, there aren't four people here, you already ate". She complained about having to stop her break when she seated us, when she brought our food and when we paid. I am not a smoker so I find it hard to understand that need. 

I finished the alterations to the first surgery cap I made for my SIL.
I am trying it on here. 


And, I have 
cut out 
finished another surgery cap. 
This is one for her to try since I altered the first one a little and made a new pattern from that. This colorful cat print was also used in a baby quilt I made for her daughter 25 years ago. I wonder if she will notice. 
I will get them in the mail tomorrow.
Edit She did notice! 

Once I get it perfected (they did fit perfectly) to her liking I will start making ones with the fabric she provided. 


Tuesday: Family drama continues. My poor husband is so stressed with trying to 'fix things' that were done incorrectly decades ago. It amazes me how one person can cause so much misery and stress for those around them.

Wednesday: Work drama continues. 
Students, staff, it is never ending.
It was a rainy day, but this is what I saw on my way home...


The picture does not do it justice, but, the sky was beautifully blue. The rain clouds were moving out and fluffy white clouds and sunshine were moving in. I tried to enjoy the moment and forget about the day.

Thursday: The weather was sunny, but has turned cold with strong winds. Students came to school today in flip-flops or sandals. I am warm blooded (thanks menopause that is never ending) but even I needed a jacket today. And, speaking of menopause, I have been dealing with the effects of it for about 10 years. Just when I think the horrible hot flashes are ending, they come back with a vengeance. I tried hormone replacement therapy, but didn't get much relief and decided the cost wasn't worth it.

Friday: Still cold, but the rain held off until after recess. I am so thankful for that. Inside recess is hard! These kids need to be outside where they can burn off that excess energy. I know some of them were cold because they had on sandals and shorts! Parents, summer is over! 
Dress your child appropriately or at least in layers that they can take off if needed. The heat is not on in our building yet, and won't be for a few more weeks.


Then this afternoon this happened..
...you can imagine the excitement this caused!


Saturday: I have a long list of things I want to get done this weekend and I don't feel like doing any of them. It is still chilly, but now the sun is shining. 
I need to get outside and do some tidying up. I moved some plants into the garage Thursday evening because there was a frost warning. Glad I did because we did get frost. And, I have lots to do inside to keep me busy all day.

Turns out I was just feeling restless all day and could not settle on doing any one thing. I got some house chores done and knit several dishcloths, but that's about it. My mom and I both find the dishcloths make nice little gifts along with a nice lotion or bath gel at Christmas and I usually make around 40-50 each year. I have 37 right now so I need to get some more made to hand off to her at Thanksgiving.

Quilt Retreat is coming up starting the 25th so I went through my projects to see what I can take to work on. I feel guilty starting more projects.
 I feel like I should finish things that have been started. But I really want to start something new! Most of my projects are at a stage that don't make it practical to take to retreat. Some need more fabric, some just need borders cut, some just need quilting. I usually plan to take 2-3 projects and I still haven't settled on any. I might start something new. Sometimes there isn't enough room to really spread out to cut with a larger cutting mat and ruler so I would like to have the fabric cut so I can just start sewing. I need to settle on a couple of projects and start getting them ready.

Sunday: It was our bi-weekly trip to the farm store and W-M this week. Last week it was Aldi. We like to go early in the morning since there are fewer people out at that time, but we have noticed the last few weeks that the shelves at each store are not fully stocked. We end up leaving without at least one item on our lists. And, at the farm store making the popcorn is a higher priority than the customers waiting to check out. Oh well, guess that shows where I rate.

No comments: