Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Mond... er... Tuesday

Go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts to see what other quilters are doing.

As for me I am keeping family in Texas in my prayers as they weather this storm.

Also, my son and his girlfriend and her sister as they weather a different storm. My son cannot drive, he is legally blind, as well as physically disabled (spina bifida). He shares living arrangements with his girlfriend and her sister. The sister also does not drive so the girlfriend provides transportation to their job (the sisters work at the same place) and also to my son as needed. Her truck was old and well used and slowly falling apart with many different issues. We helped them out a little financially so she could get a different vehicle. She chose a good used vehicle and brought it home on Friday. On her way home from work yesterday evening and guy decided to ignore a red light and hit her. She and her sister where not hurt, my son was not with them, now the insurance company is trying to decide if the vehicle is totaled. 

I went back to work a week ago with 2 days (1/2 days for me, an aide) of Teacher Institute days, then full days with students starting on Thursday. The first few days are always stressful for everyone, school staff and students. But things seem to be going well. There don't seem to be as many students missing mom and dad this year, not too many tears, which always make things easier. I'm sure we will all settle into our new routines soon.

On the sewing front I have most of the top together for the School Disappearing 4-Patch I have been working on. 


I like to use these boards to keep my block units organized. They are foam core cut to the size I wanted. I hot glued batting on one side and then glued binding all around to enclose the edge. These worked great for this project since the 4 patch units get cut and some of the pieces switched and turned. I cut 5 at a time because that is how many boards I have. I kept them by my machine and worked on them a little at a time. And, now I have a top!


Now I need to figure out the borders and backing. I only have a fat quarter of the black/white letters fabric so I don't think it will be used. There is a yard each of the red print and the crayon print. I am thinking a 1 inch inner border of white, then a border cut the width of the crayons and bind in the red print. On-line I have found a scatter print with crayons and other school supplies on a white background that I am thinking of for the backing.

I have also added labels to two of my quilts - Friendship Rings and Strippy Double Diamonds. Sometimes it takes me a while to get this part done.


Friendship Rings - front
Friendship Rings - made entirely from stash. I did not buy any fabric specifically for this quilt. Yay me! I originally thought of making it bigger and cut more pieces. I decided I liked the original size so I used the extras in the backing which worked well because there was not enough of the green plaid.

Friendship Rings - back

Strippy Double Diamond - I love batiks. 
If I had to choose only one kind of fabric to quilt with it would be batiks.



My Quilter's Exchange group met on Saturday. We are starting a new exchange so of course 
we had to discuss all the particulars. We decided on house blocks for this one. 
We also had Show & Tell and delicious treats. 

 
I have my brother on my mind, always do. 
It has been 3 months since his death. Sunflowers were one of his favorites.

No comments: