Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Design Wall

 To see what other quilters have on their design walls go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I missed posting on Monday, but here is what I have been up to.

It took me about 3 days but I finally got all the fabric cut for Coral Reef. 

Then I got one unit pieced.

Yesterday I finished all the A1 units.
Again, Judy Niemeyer has wonderful pattern instructions from cutting the papers to keeping it all organized. And, Janet Spinks has provided great instructions and color photos with the kit for this colorway. I'm loving it!

I finished the Windmills quilt.

I got some more SBC2021 blocks pieced during some phone time with Son.


The purple, green, and white flannel/minkee quilt is on the frame.

I'm using the same quilt design board that I used for the Windmills quilt. 

I made some kitchen items for Son.

A kitchen towel to hang over the oven handle, or where ever works for him, some knitted dishcloths and scrubbies. Also, a mask made with camo fabric. Do you notice a theme? He likes to hunt, thus the camo and wildlife/deer fabric. I tried to use more masculine colors for the dishcloths and scrubbies. I used the No Hassle Kitchen Towel Topper tutorial from Nancy's Notions. I will make him more if he likes this one. 

I hope to see him in the next week. He is waiting for a delivery date for the bed that was ordered. When he spoke with the furniture store last week, they told him it would be within 10 days, so he should be hearing from them soon.

 Funny little story - he is on his own now and doing well. There are some things he just can't do, but he is learning how to get help. One of his smoke detectors started beeping, indicating that the battery needed replacing. It's on the ceiling and he can't reach it from his wheelchair. None of the family could get to his house due to the weather. The noise was causing his dog some distress. He called my SIL who is the landlord now. She called a policeman friend. My brother was a policeman and security officer and had LOTS of friends. The policeman friend was out of town but made some calls. Son went out to work on clearing his drive. Someone passing by stopped to help him. Next thing Son knows there is a fire truck pulling up to his house. Two firemen came in and replaced the battery and checked the other smoke detector to make sure everything was working. Before it was over there were four fire trucks in front of his house and they were all visiting in the driveway. These people knew my son because they knew his uncle. I did not know this was a service they provided but they said they would rather respond to this kind of call than a fire. They were all out and about helping people who needed to be shoveled out, etc. that day. I feel like my brother is still blessing us, especially my son, with his kind heart.

Husband had a birthday so a banana cake with brown sugar icing was made.
I had some glazed pecans so I put those on top. YUMMY! I make half the recipe and bake it in a round cake pan. While we would have no trouble eating a whole cake, this cake is so moist that it wouldn't take long for it to get moldy. We finished this half in three days. 

We have a lovely sunny day here today. It's warmer - about 36, but breezy so it feels colder. We have snow piled and drifted everywhere.
The laser light that puts pretty designs up on the house is completely covered.

Snow gets piled wherever it can be piled so it is out of the way.
Drifts as high as the ramp.
This drift looks like the wind whipped around the house from both directions and gave the yard a mohawk! These photos are few days old. Everything was looking the same day after day so I stopped taking photos. We had rain a couple of days ago that froze and made the roads icy and slick. The temps are now warmer and the sun is shining. The roads are mostly clear, the drifts are shrinking. Soon there will be puddles and mud, but moisture is needed. 

Last night we had a beautiful sunset!

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Beautiful photos - but that's WAAAAY too much snot for me - LOL. Your Coral Reef is coming along nicely - it's going to be stunning! I'm glad your Son is doing well - and that he got help with his smoke alarm. I didn't know that the fire department provided that service - thanks for sharing - ;))