Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Sisters, Oregon Project

That is what I called this project. It has been hidden away for years, occasionally making an appearance when I re-organized my sewing spaces. I pulled it out today and carefully looked at it.

This is the book with instructions for the rows we would be making. I purchased it and the author, Karin Hellaby, signed it. She has a website if you are interested in looking. It appears she is still quite busy teaching. 















I printed the class photo from the Quilter's Affair website.


Here is the current information in case you are interested in going in 2019.

I remember being excited about taking this class. As I looked through the class options I was drawn to this quilt. The colors, the piecing, the applique, the EPP. But I also was a little frustrated. The pattern called for an ombre fabric which I spent a lot of time searching for, finally settling for something that wasn't what I was seeing in my mind, but was good enough. 


It goes from yellow at one selvage edge to purple at the other. It is a McKenna Ryan print by Hoffman.


Here are the rest of the beautiful fabrics I had gathered.


I also remember Karin saying that American quilters differ from British quilters in that Americans are drawn to a quilt/pattern by the colors and fabrics and tend to make their quilts with those colors/fabrics. British quilters tend to choose the colors/fabrics different than the pattern shows. Interesting. Maybe that is why I felt frustrated. I wanted my quilt to look like the one in the class picture but was having trouble finding the fabrics.

This next picture shows what I accomplished during the 2 day class.


I pieced some of the Delectable Mountain units and sewed some of them together; not enough to border each side of the 'river' strip. I also pieced on of the 'river' strips. I had to piece two purple selvages together to get the yellow-to-purple-to-yellow effect. I also finished English paper piecing one flower unit.

I have decided to stop this project. I don't have enough done to inspire me to keep going. I feel the frustration from this project more than I feel the joy. So all the fabrics have been put into my stash to await another project. I haven't decided what to do with the units that are finished. For now, I have added them to my ever growing pile of I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-this stuff.

I will continue going through my projects and post about them as I do. Right now I a washing, and washing, and washing, shirts, pants, coats, hats and gloves for little people. We have a cabinet at school with extra clothes for those in need. The students are suppose to keep an change of clothes at school and be properly attired for the weather, but often they have outgrown the clothes they brought in at the beginning of the school year, or the clothes are out of season - shorts have not been exchanged for pants. And, often they don't have hats and gloves and it is getting too cold to be without those item. So I am going through the cabinet and culling some of the clothing items and washing all of it. We have a LOT of hats, coats and t-shirts. I will keep some of those and donate the rest to the local Food Pantry. I have been assured that those items will be given out and appreciated by the recipients. It is a good project for today since I am still recovering from this cold and am feeling tired and lazy today!

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You have the perfect reason to stop working on this project - "I feel the frustration from this project more than I feel the joy." When it becomes more frustrating than fun - I say quit and find something else you WANT to do - quilting is supposed to be FUN. That's probably why I have so many UFOs - and don't feel the least bit guilty about it - LOL - ;))