Saturday, February 3, 2018

Happy Thoughts All At Once

Oops...I knew I had not posted for a while, but didn't realize it had been that long. However, I did continue to THINK Happy Thoughts every day, even if I didn't get them on 'paper'. 

I have been a little busy.

On the Saturday, Jan 20 we took a ramp to my son so he would have better access to his new apartment. He has to maneuver so many steps. From the parking area there are 2 steps from the city sidewalk to the main sidewalk that goes between the duplexes. Then another step up to his porch. Then another step up into the apartment. He is able to bypass the steps from the city sidewalk by going through the yard to the main sidewalk. That is kind of messy in snowy or wet weather. The ramp works nicely for the step up to the porch (insert Happy here). In fact it worked so well and the porch is wide enough that we have ordered another one for the step up into the apartment.

TravelRamp Fiberglass Wheelchair Ramp, 3 ft, 4 ft, or 5 ft
This is NOT my son's apartment. This is a picture from the Sportaid website.
We have, however, had a little trouble getting these ramps. We ordered the longest one - 5 feet. Customer service called me the day the order was placed to let me know they had a lightly used one they could sell for a lesser price if we were interested. We said, "Yes, please!". Happy Thought - Yay for good customer service. Tracking showed they ramp had been shipped and was at the UPS facility near us. And, it showed that was were it was for the next 2 weeks. We had some bad weather so at first I wasn't too concerned. But, then the weather was better and roads were cleared and still no activity on the ramp. I emailed UPS, they responded that they would check into it, but to also contact the shipper. The shipper said there would be better results from UPS is they contacted them and they would let me know as soon as they knew anything. Again - Yay for good customer service. The ramp arrived 2 days later. It had been sent two states away and was never scanned again. Next time I won't wait so long, I told myself. So then we ordered the second ramp. Sportaid was confused because they thought I was ordering a replacement. I explained that my son needed another and we liked the first one so much we wanted a second. Great. But, we still don't have it. It was ordered on Jan. 25. So, I called. This is a small company and the person in charge of getting the ramp shipped has been sick with the flu. I understand that! So many of the students at my school have been sick. And, they are out for days. The guy is back to work and they assure me the ramp will arrive by Thursday when my son is here for a visit. He can take it back with him. 

Things have been busy at school. Lots of learning going on. Two of my students have progressed so well that they have transitioned back into the classroom. Three more are very close. More Happy Thoughts - getting extra help from me is helping these students succeed.

My son's girlfriend loves cows. He asked me to knit her a cow hat.

Here it is...




The pattern can be found for sell at TwoOfWandsShop.
It is knit with bulky yarn and worked up pretty quickly.


My quilt group retreat was Jan. 25 - 28. I love this group! 
Happy Thoughts - every day! I got lots done, too.

On Day 1 I got the borders added to this top...


It is a free pattern from moda. The pattern makes a square quilt. 
I wanted it a little longer so I added an extra border at the top and bottom.

Next I pieced this 12 inch block...



Remember the snowflakes I embroidered in December? I had taken them to retreat to show and someone suggested that one of them might look nice in the center of this block. I had used white and very light pink for this snowflake and it looks pretty good. I am going to try embroidering it onto black fabric to see what that effect looks better than appliquing one on.

Next up was this BOM from Quilt Doodle Designs...


This is the January block. February is posted now.
This is one of the UFOs I listed for What a Hoot 18 in 2018.

On Day 2 I finished this...


This was a kit purchased several years ago from Keepsake Quilting. 
I looked on their website, but can't find it.
Also one of the UFOs I listed for What a Hoot 18 in 2018.

The rest of my time was spent on this...


I got the center pieced!
Also, one of the UFOs I listed for What a Hoot 18 in 2018.

This past week has been interesting. The students have been a little more wound up every day. I am sure that Super Blue Blood moon had nothing to do with it! Ha! I was really glad to see Friday afternoon. But, honestly, the kids have grown so much this year - physically and academically. Some more than others. That is why my job is so rewarding.

And, today is Saturday and I have been spending my time with laundry (it never ends!), organizing my projects and fabric a little better, and moving things around in my son's room so they can inflate the bed when they come visit this week. Yay! After that I am going to work really hard at getting some of my sewing/quilting things moved in there. 


See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'. Check it out.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I love all of your projects but that "Fire Island Hosta" is my favorite!! It's beautiful!! Sure hope you plan to put that one in the County Fair this year - ;))