Monday, January 8, 2018

All My Bags Are Packed...


Who remembers that song?

Quilt Retreat is coming up. I am finished packing except for the last minute items, like snacks and beverages, my little iron and pad, and any thing else I think of that I forgot about.

It is a four day retreat and I always worry that I won't have enough projects to work on. So far, I haven't run out of something to do!

Here are the projects I am bringing this time.

This is Fading Charms.


I love the big zip bags to organize projects.


At a previous retreat I got the center and to next two pieced borders pieced. 
I will be using an almost white in between the pieced parts. I have all the squares cut. 

Next up is Snow Much Fun BOM from Quilt Doodle Doodles.




This is the January block. It requires some applique so I have packed thread in every color necessary.

Next is Heavens to Betsy.


This paper pieced project makes a 12 inch block. Could be a fair entry.
I looked for a link, but can't find it now. It was printed from Quiltmakers Magazine.

Then there is Rejoicing!, another paper pieced block.


I got this kit this summer in Missouri.
It was available to purchase during the Highway 36 Shop Hop at
Shearwood Quilts and Fabrics in Jamesport, Missouri.
Praying Hands are embroidered in the example.
The designer of this block is Patti R. Anderson. You can check out her wesite, patchpieces.com, but the block is not available there, at least that I could find.
I am thinking a floral design might be nice. A 12 inch block that could be a fair entry.

Then there is Breezy Batiks. It is a free Moda pattern.


I am calling this one Breezy Flannels. My quilt group had a flannel exchange last winter and this is what I decided to make with mine.

Blooming Stars is a bed runner for my mom.


I am a little confused after pulling it out to see how much more needs to be done. The directions say to sew a 2 inch strip of tan print to the border print, then sew a 2 inch strip of the pink on the other side of the border print. Seems that I have cut twice the number of border strips needed and sewn tan to half and pink to half. I did not take notes so I have no idea why I did that. Looks like part of my time at retreat will be spent ripping.


At least three of these projects are close to very close to being finished tops. I don't know why I do that. I do know I get tired of working on the same project if it is a long one. I also get frustrated if I run into a problem. Often I work on a project only at retreat.

So, even though retreat isn't for another two and a half weeks, my bags are packed, I'm ready to go! 




Oh, and don't worry, I have many more projects started (and not started)
in case this doesn't keep me busy the whole four days!

My happy thought for today is that even though we had wind and icy roads school was cancelled. I am sad I will have to go an extra day in June, but I am glad the kiddos were safe at home (I hope) AND I am happy I got my bags packed for retreat!


See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'. Check it out.

1 comment:

dq said...

Oh goodness have you got some realy beauties. I am excited for you get a 4 day retreat - jealous!

For me, taking several projects is a great idea. I have accidentally left crucial things home and had nothing to do or finished faster than expected. You can always leave a few projects in the car (if you are driving) and bring the out only if needed.

Have a wonderful time!